JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Nationwide wanting to cancel an account one to another won't

Nationwide wanting to cancel an account one to another won't let me through the door said to go on the internet I'm 74 no idea how to do it put a complaint in tried in numerous times no help at all nearly a year they are saying no refund as the account account had insurance cover etc
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: Nationwide tried for a year to cancel an account from one to another won't let me through the door saying they could do transaction in the branch had to go in the internet 74 yrs old no idea how to do it they are saying my complaint is not going through they haven't idea how many times I went for help at the door and would not let me in till the last time refused to go unless they helped me
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None just got the letter today saying my complaint is unsuccessful
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Feel they were so unprofessional at the nationwide building society no help at tall
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Been with the nationwide for ove 30. Years have a few accounts with them feel so angry with the out come feel they should refund me and the stress they put on me is not exceptable
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The account that I wanted to change they were charging me 13 pounds a month for insurance cover I never used

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I will wait for a professional answer

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

It is unclear from the question if you have Nationwide's final response to your complaint or not. The dispute is covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service, so the only way to resolve this is to a) make the formal complaint to Nationwide and b) assuming they do not uphold your complaint, ask the Ombudsman for assistance.

You are covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 here which means you have a right to expect a service (from Nationwide) carried out with reasonable care and skill. Furthermore, the account should be “fit for purpose” and “as described”. If it isn’t then you can allege breach of your consumer rights and breach of contract.

If you have not done this already, you should now make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response. You can make the complaint here: https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/contact-us/make-a-complaint

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with Nationwide which would hopefully result in a resolution. They can order Nationwide to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly.

Once you have their final response, you can make the complaint to the Ombudsman here : www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain

Or by email:***@******.***

Based on the circumstances, assuming Nationwide does not uphold your complaint, I am sure the Ombudsman will do. The Ombudsman will look at this case independently and will make a decision based on what happened. Their decision is binding on Nationwide and I would fully expect them to resolve this for you.
Please note we cannot do this for you as we are an internet forum and not a law firm - though the complaints process above is designed for people to pursue it without having to instruct a lawyer.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Nationwide response as no footprints of calls no calls as they never gave me a phone number just to go on the internet to cancell so they are saying know ownership never could get in the door for information kept saying to go on the internet

Nationwide say the best way is to do online chat with them - if you go to this link, let the page load up, scroll to the bottom and click the blue chat icon :
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/contact-us/message-us

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Have just been on the chat going round in circles looks like going to be a waste of time
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Just cancel the call going out sorry

Sorry, I can’t take a call at the moment but other experts are free to contact you. If no one calls you then you will not be charged for it - an "authorisation" has been made for payment, that's all. However, the call request is open to all experts so will remain available until it’s either taken by another expert or if you cancel it. If you would like to cancel the call and the charge, customer services can be contacted here: https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us or for refunds please use this link: https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/how-to-request-refund

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Please cancel the call.

If you ask customer services please. As I am a lawyer and answer the legal questions - customer services can be reached either by email :***@******.*** or please click this link : https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us

JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience: Senior Associate Solicitor
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Told u 3 times to cancel phone call.