John
John, Solicitor
Experience:  10 years legal experience
106125879

I mistakenly gave a lodger the wrong agreement. it was

I mistakenly gave a lodger the wrong agreement. it was supposed to be a lodger agreement but I gave an assured Tenancy agreement for an en-suite room in my house. This was done in a hurry as I was about to undergo hip replacement surgery, (March 2020).After surgery lockdown started I therefore stayed elsewhere in a bubble. The lodger has asked for a section 21 which I cannot give as the conditions for Tenancy were not fulfilled. However the agreement stated that a month`s notice was acceptable to both sides. I gave a notice to quit ,which was signed and dated by the lodger. Now she is refusing to pay any rent and has taken advice from the housing department who tells me that she can stay for 4 months without paying rent and to get her out will require court proceedings and also I shouldn`t be in my home as she has a tenancy agreement, even though it clearly states an en-suite room in the house. I need advice as to next steps please or a recommended solicitor who deals with these types of situations. Thanks
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Apart from asking her to sign the Notice to quit which she has done. I have a record of the messages sent to and fro.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: This only happened about an hour ago, when the Housing department at Richmond contacted me. Last evening I did message to say that as the rent is now 5 days overdue I can change the locks on my front door.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am extremely concerned about this as I have never insisted that she leaves but as she has lost her job she wants to be rehoused by the local authority. She is Russian BTW

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That’s fine. Thank you John

Hello, further to our telephone call please see a list of organisations below who can assist you for free

We are Advocate

https://weareadvocate.org.uk/

They match members of the public who need free legal help with barristers who are willing to donate their time and expertise in deserving cases for those who are unable to obtain legal aid and cannot afford to pay.

Law works

https://www.lawworks.org.uk/

LawWorks is a charity working in England and Wales to connect volunteer lawyers with people in need of legal advice, who are not eligible for legal aid and cannot afford to pay and with the not-for-profit organisations that support them.

Law Centres Network

https://www.lawcentres.org.uk/

Law Centres deliver advice through lawyers and qualified caseworkers and defend the rights of people who cannot afford a lawyer.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer.