How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1917
Experience:  10 years legal experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
John is online now

I mistakenly gave a lodger the wrong agreement. it was

This answer was rated:

I mistakenly gave a lodger the wrong agreement. it was supposed to be a lodger agreement but I gave an assured Tenancy agreement for an en-suite room in my house. This was done in a hurry as I was about to undergo hip replacement surgery, (March 2020).After surgery lockdown started I therefore stayed elsewhere in a bubble. The lodger has asked for a section 21 which I cannot give as the conditions for Tenancy were not fulfilled. However the agreement stated that a month`s notice was acceptable to both sides. I gave a notice to quit ,which was signed and dated by the lodger. Now she is refusing to pay any rent and has taken advice from the housing department who tells me that she can stay for 4 months without paying rent and to get her out will require court proceedings and also I shouldn`t be in my home as she has a tenancy agreement, even though it clearly states an en-suite room in the house. I need advice as to next steps please or a recommended solicitor who deals with these types of situations. Thanks
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Apart from asking her to sign the Notice to quit which she has done. I have a record of the messages sent to and fro.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: This only happened about an hour ago, when the Housing department at Richmond contacted me. Last evening I did message to say that as the rent is now 5 days overdue I can change the locks on my front door.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am extremely concerned about this as I have never insisted that she leaves but as she has lost her job she wants to be rehoused by the local authority. She is Russian BTW

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

John and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That’s fine. Thank you John

Hello, further to our telephone call please see a list of organisations below who can assist you for free

We are Advocate

They match members of the public who need free legal help with barristers who are willing to donate their time and expertise in deserving cases for those who are unable to obtain legal aid and cannot afford to pay.

Law works

LawWorks is a charity working in England and Wales to connect volunteer lawyers with people in need of legal advice, who are not eligible for legal aid and cannot afford to pay and with the not-for-profit organisations that support them.

Law Centres Network

Law Centres deliver advice through lawyers and qualified caseworkers and defend the rights of people who cannot afford a lawyer.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer.