How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15888
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

I rent an apartment and haven't missed any rent payments.

Customer Question

I rent an apartment and haven't missed any rent payments. The house is falling to bits. There is mold. A collapsing ceiling. Leaks everywhere. The landlord has found all escuses imaginable to not fix the issue. It's been going on for 6 months. Our health is being put at risk since there are pieces falling on us. The council was contacted but nothing happened
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: London
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Yes. The lease says any major issues the landlord needs to fix. He used covid in jan/feb. Now he sent a builder that doesn't fix the issue just taped up some pipes and that's it.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I just want yo know how should I proceed
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  INC Law replied 6 days ago.


Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Your landlord has to do anything your tenancy agreement says they have to do.

Your landlord is also generally responsible for keeping in repair:

  • the structure and exterior of your home, for example, the walls, roof, foundations, drains, guttering and external pipes, windows and external doors

  • basins, sinks, baths, toilets and their pipework

  • water and gas pipes, electrical wiring, water tanks, boilers, radiators, gas fires, fitted electric fires or fitted heaters.

These repair responsibilities can't be removed by anything your tenancy agreement says. Also, your landlord isn't allowed to pass on the cost of any repair work to you which is their responsibility.

Your landlord only has to make repairs when they know there’s a problem - so make sure you tell them about any repairs that are needed.

The first port of call would be your local council licencing and environmental health departments. They have an obligation to ensure properties meet certain standards and should take any necessary action against your landlord.

I would suggest a formal complaint to the Council if you have nit had a response.

the alternative is to issue a claim through the courts yourself, however, this would be a lengthy and expensive exercise.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,