How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15892
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

I rent a flat in Ilford. I pay rent. Never miss a payment.

Customer Question

Hey. I rent a flat in Ilford. I pay rent. Never miss a payment. The building is leaking. The bathroom ceiling is literally half collapsing. We reported the issue to our landlord back in January when issues started to appear. He used covid as a way to not fix anything until lockdown ended. It's June now. It's very unsafe to live in this house now but he keeps saying he will send a builder but nothing gets done. The council is aware of the situation but no change.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I made sure everything was done over email so I have proof of every communication between us and landlord. I contacted the council and they asked for the email thread with the landlord. No answer after that
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No. That's about it.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  INC Law replied 8 days ago.


Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  INC Law replied 8 days ago.


Your landlord has to do anything your tenancy agreement says they have to do.

Your landlord is also generally responsible for keeping in repair:

  • the structure and exterior of your home, for example, the walls, roof, foundations, drains, guttering and external pipes, windows and external doors

  • basins, sinks, baths, toilets and their pipework

  • water and gas pipes, electrical wiring, water tanks, boilers, radiators, gas fires, fitted electric fires or fitted heaters.

These repair responsibilities can't be removed by anything your tenancy agreement says. Also, your landlord isn't allowed to pass on the cost of any repair work to you which is their responsibility.

Your landlord only has to make repairs when they know there’s a problem - so make sure you tell them about any repairs that are needed.

The first port of call would be your local council licencing and environmental health departments. They have an obligation to ensure properties meet certain standards and should take any necessary action against your landlord.

I would suggest a formal complaint to the Council if you have nit had a response.

the alternative is to issue a claim through the courts yourself, however, this would be a lengthy and expensive exercise.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

Expert:  INC Law replied 8 days ago.