INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

We have two properties with small buy to let mortgage on

Customer Question

We have two properties with small buy to let mortgage on them. We took them out in 2014. We also have a mortgage on our home. Due to Covid I have not been able to work (self employed new business set up in 2017). This has impacted on our ability to pay the 2 buy to let mortgages which are currently empty. I was hospitalised twice last year for a blood transfusion and pneumonia which is now believed could have been covid. It has taken me best part of a year to recover but I'm hoping to return and salvage my business soon. The lender has placed the accounts for the buy to let, into LPA who has refused to accept an offer of additional payments to bring the mortgages out of arrears. They are putting us under pressure to make a decision now, before we've had the opportunity to explore our options, or even raise the cash for the arrears. I spoke to the mortgage lender and they have made a note of how ill I have been, they say they are unable to help because mortgage holidays have ended and as it is in the hands of LPA they can't do anything to help. LPA are not being helpful and are extremely rude. They just want us to hand houses over to them. What can we do?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: NO
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: Runcorn
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just how this is making me very ill all over again
Expert:  INC Law replied 6 days ago.

Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Expert:  INC Law replied 6 days ago.

You can make an application to court for an injunction preventing the LPA Receivers from disposing of the properties.  You can also make a payment towards the arrears to the LPA Receivers.

Unfortunately, the Receivers take their instructions from the Lender.  The lender has obviously decided that they wish to take possession and sell the properties.  If they wanted to provide the LPA Receivers with different instructions, they can choose to do so.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am upset it would not help or assist to speak on phone
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is there anything that we can do?
Expert:  INC Law replied 6 days ago.

Please ignore the call request. It is automatic through the site.

If ot was a residential property which was your main home, then possibly yes.  As they are BTL properties, you are at the mercy of the Lender.

I would suggest filing a formal complaint with the Lender. If you do not get a satisfactory response, you will have to escalate your complaint to the financial ombudsman.

I am sorry this was not the answer you were expecting. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

many thanks,