How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2705
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

My neighbour has replaced her fence today and has sited

Customer Question

Hi, my neighbour has replaced her fence today and has sited several fence posts more than 12 inches onto my side of the boundary line, so that the fence now curves onto my property - I have spoken to her, but she is unwilling to admit that it's in the wrong place. What should I do next?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No. To prove the fence is incorrect I have strung a line from the house at the boundary line all the way to the boundary fencepost at the end of the garden - I have photographed this.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Colchester, Essex
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The same neighbour has also vandalised and bent up the lead flashing on my extension roof - as she believed it overhung her property - it was all signed off by building control. I also have photographs.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JA, I amCustomerone of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

I am sorry to hear what has been transferring between you and your neighbour. If she has encroached unto your side of the boundary line there is really no option but to have her either remove it amicably or alternative seek an order from the court directing her to do so.

The first option would be to see whether this could be done amicably, you may achieve this by using an independent mediator to speak to you both.

If after having tried the mediator things are not resolved then you would need to seek an injunction from the court directing your neighbour to remove the boundary fence that encroaches on your line. In matter such as these you may find it better to instruct a solicitor with respect to seeking an injunction.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.