How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SS Legal Advisor Your Own Question
SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1047
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
SS Legal Advisor is online now

My ex started a business while we were together. I gave up

Customer Question

My ex started a business while we were together. I gave up work to look after our children and also helped him with the business. Would I be entitled to anything from the business now we have split?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Yes I know the location. I didn't really want to go to court though. I wasn't sure I would be entitled to anything as we are not married but some one said I would be
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He owns 2 businesses and also rented property but only pays minimum maintenance
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 10 days ago.
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.Sadly, not being married is a disadvantage when you split.Unfortunately you would not be able to claim for the business or rent unless you were a shareholder or listed on the title.How was the maintenance calculated?Have you used the child maintenance assessment on the gov site? regards
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
he did. However I know that he earns a lot more than he put down. The houses were his already but the 2 other businesses were our main source of income and both are doing very well
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 10 days ago.
If it is the case that is did not declare everything then you can bring this up with the child maintenance service.However, there is unfortunately no way to claim shares in the business unless you can prove somehow that they were also yours.Can you think of any proof?Kind regards
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 9 days ago.

Please do ask any follow ups.

Kind regards