Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I would like to deal with someone that specialises in animal

I would like to deal with someone that specialises in animal ownership disputes please
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Not yet, I am looking to make a civil case. i am in England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven't started a civil case myself, but was written to by the opposing person's lawyer, informing me they would take me to Court if I didn't hand a cat back
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have had to hand the cat back today via Police, otherwise they would have arrested me

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have been forced to return a cat today, if not I would have been arrested on the basis that the cat belonged to someone else. I am a cat rescue operational for 14 years, I have so much evidence that this woman does not and never has owned this cat. i want to take the ownership to civil court

Thank you. Why does she believe she owns the cat?

Under law, pets are treated as ‘chattels’, which just means an item that is owned. They will not be seen as a living thing and will be treated in the same way as inanimate objects, like a car.

If there is a dispute as to who should take possession of a pet, the first thing the courts would look at is who the legal owner is. Initially, that would be the person(s) who bought it, with any subsequent transfers of ownership dependent on the actual circumstances (e.g. was ownership transferred through sale or gift to someone else at any point).

If the legal owner has had their pet taken away by someone else, they have the following options:

1. The easiest one is to try and locate the pet and once it is on public property, beckon it to come. If it does, it can be taken away as it legally belongs to them

2. If that does not work or is not a viable option, the matter may have to be taken to court. If it ended up there, the following outcomes are possible:

- A declaration of ownership, and

- An order for the return of the pet, and

- An order for damages for wrongful retention of the pet

Just be aware though that even if the court orders that the pet be returned, no one can physically force the person who has it to do so. In that case, the court may simply decide that an order is made that the pet is sold and the proceeds shared, or just order the party who has it in their possession to compensate the other for their share of ownership.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.