How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MatthewM1117 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 339
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MatthewM1117 is online now

I intend selling the house I have lived in for the past 3

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I intend selling the house I have lived in for the past 3 years after my mum passed away. I do have other I need to pay cgt, if so at what rate if the propert value has increased by £ 200,000.00 since 2017
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Broadstairs Kent cT10 1EQ
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have a committed offer via an estate agent - otherwise no other action
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that I am aware of
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 14 days ago.

Good morning, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Is the property you intend to sell your main residence?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for the clarification, if you make a gain on the disposal (sale) of your main residence, it's exempt from capital gains tax, this is sometimes referred to us as main residence exemption.

Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 14 days ago.

Please note that a call incurs a further fee, if you are happy to pay the fee I will arrange a call with you. If you do not wish to carry out a call I can continue to assist you with a written response.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How do I contact you per phone
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 14 days ago.

You have to request that through the system there is an additional charge of £44 (if I remember correctly).

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
If I decide to sell my property myself ie not via an estate agent but to someone who contacted me before I engaged the estate agent. Do I have a problem especially if the estate agent has a buyer who has made an offer. If I decide to sell myself at a lower price than the buyers offer the estate agent may see my lower selling price. I have my reasons for selling at a lower price
Hope his makes sense
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 14 days ago.

You can sell your property privately, i.e directly to a buyer, however if you have now signed up with an estate agents you will need to check their terms and conditions if you withdraw from using their services.

Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 13 days ago.

Hopefully I have answered your question but if anything remains unclear please do not hesitate to contact me further.