How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SS Legal Advisor Your Own Question
SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1048
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
SS Legal Advisor is online now

I've recently returned to the UK with a big debt due to a

Customer Question

Hi, I've recently returned to the UK with a big debt due to a parking fine and highway code infringement.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: I had moved away and was unaware of such infringements and had no way of responding No I don't
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have recently been sent a bayliff letter I'm more than happy to pay the original fine Bit refuse to be bullied into a huge one
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 16 days ago.
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.The trouble here is that the duty is actually on you to update your address on your driving licence (failing to do so an offence in itself) or to have your mail forwarded accordingly.You are also likely to be very long out of time to challenge the penalty. Which means that it is not longer a disputed debt and would be classed just as a debt which is why the bailiffs are pursuing the debt now.You can try contact the DVLA to see if they would settle for the original fine but if they don't settle I don't see any way to challenge this.Please do ask any follow ups.Kind regards
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
there is no way of having to pay off the bayliff?
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 16 days ago.
You can pay off the bailiffs. They will probably only accept the full amount. They would not be in a position to negotiate.Kind regards
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Would I need to contact the council to negotiate?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 16 days ago.
you should start with them. They will be able to direct you to the right team or individual.Kind regards