Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

Do you do statutory declarations as i had my name changed

do you do statutory declarations as i had my name changed several years ago and lost my deed polls. i went to court for a stat. dec. and sent it to the council when i was applying for housing and they lost it i now need proof of change my name . i rang the courts and they referred me to the solicitors to do this.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i live in erdington birmingham. i had my name changed when i was living in Handsworth icant remember the date i think it was in 1997.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none. i simply went to court a couple of years ago to get a statutory declaration and they gave me a small slip of paper which i think it was. i now need proof of change my name for various things,
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Are you asking how to prove your name change?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i need written proof to send to housing
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
what i am asking is this can you supply me with a legal document to prove i have had my name changed?

There are several ways of doing this and it depends on why you need the proof.

If you need proof of a historic change of name you would have to do it by statutory declaration which would then need to be sworn in front of a solicitor.

Alternatively, if you don’t need proof of historic change of name you just want your name changed, then you could do a new name change declaration or deed poll.

But if you require a document to say that your name was changed to whatever it is in 1997, that can only be done by statutory declaration.

If you like, I can submit a premium services proposal for you to draft the document.  You just need to add your name and address and then take it to a solicitor for swearing.

It would be a fixed fee of 5 pounds +2 pounds for each exhibit.  It is a fixed fee set by statute.  The number of exhibits would depend on what evidence you wanted to attach, such as birth certificate, marriage certificate or whatever and the circumstances surrounding.

You could potentially have the declaration done by the end of the day.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have