SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

It’s about Netflix, Uk, London, just trying to complain over

Hi, it’s about Netflix
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk, London
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: just trying to complain over the live chat
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not really just need to describe the case
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.How can I help?Kind regards
S
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Over 18 months ago someone hacked into my Netflix account ( back then I wasn’t even aware of that). I simply couldn’t login to
My Netflix account so we ( the whole family) started using my daughter’s account and forgot about it.
In November I realised that Netflix have been charging me for services I haven’t been using m. I called them
And asked them to sort it out, close my account, check if any other data was stolen and reimburse me for the year.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They refused to reimburse me cos I quote there was an intent on my side to use the account .
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
After 4 hours of idiotic discussion with a consultant I just gave up
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They closed my account
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yesterday I realised they are still charging me
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
This time They agreed to pay back for 6 months only
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Apparently there were to email addresses linked to my account
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They never said anything about that
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
they are not willing to disclose the Other address
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Don’t u think it’s their responsibility to look after my data?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
What can I do about it?
Thank you for this information.Netflix as an company does have a duty to look after your data and all the data they hold.If you want to see what data they hold on you, you can request the file they hold at the link below.https://www.netflix.com/account/getmyinfoIt is possible they are not sharing the other address because they think that could be a data breach of the hacker, which technically it would.Whilst they are responsible for your data, if you were hacked through no fault of their own this would likely not be a data breach or something that would require reporting to the information commissioners office.I hope that makes sense.Kind regards
S
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Great, how do I make an official complaint to Netflix?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Is it legal to charge me for services I haven’t used because I was denied access to my own account?
They only really have a contact us page but you can submit an official complaint there.You should not be charged for a product that you were locked out of as this would be a service that was not fit for purpose,vi envisage this is why they refunded 6 months.Kind regards
S
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you. Have a great day!
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
But they refused to refund for the year before
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
When I had no access to my account
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Anyway there are thousands of people with this problem.
The problem with the year before is that they would have expected you to cancel your membership if you hadn't been using. These companies are just out to make money at the end of the day. I had a similar issue with Amazon and I simply insisted on a refund and settled for a partial refund too as it is not worth the hassle of the small claims court.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Horrible but true. Thank you.
Happy to help.Kind regards
S