How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13950
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I read the comments you made yesterday and thank you again

This answer was rated:

Good morning Jim,I read the comments you made yesterday and thank you again for your help. Can I ask you to clarify your comment where you say if I don't sign form I60A I risk breaching my retainer with the law firm meaning they may stop acting for me and look to me for payment of their charges to date. What is my retainer? I have not heard of that before. Please can you also tell me about forms 160b and 160c. Are these alternatives which would be more appropriate in my situation which I can sign truthfully. I find it difficult to understand why I am faced with the need to sign a form which is inapproriate in its wording.
I look forward to hearing from you in due course.
Best wishes,,

Hello Jill, this is Jim and welcome back to JustAnswer.

Your retainer will say that you must co-operate with them so by refusing to sign a court document they will argue you are in breach of the contract you have with them, which would allow them to then stop acting for you. If that happens they cannot recover their costs from your opponent so they will look to you for their costs (due to the breach).
A retainer is simply the agreement you have with them. They will have sent you paperwork at the outset and you will have signed the contract with them.
There are no other forms to claim a fee remission, no. It seems they want to show they made attempts to explore all options regarding the court fees, hence asking you to sign the EX160 form. As I say, if you have evidence of savings then I am not sure why they are insisting on this as clearly you wouldn't qualify for the fee remission in any event so is rather strange for them to ask you to sign the form in any event. The form is only for people who are impecunious or cannot afford the court fees. I would go back to them ask why, when they know you won't qualify, you are being asked to sign (under duress I might add).

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hullo Jim,
I apologise for the delay in getting in touch but I had a new printer set up yesterday and it took much longer than I had expected. By the time all was in order l needed to have supper etc. and deal with household jobs.
Thank you for clarifying "my retainer". I had no basic paperwork from the solicitors nor a contract to sign. I had an introductory 'phone call from them a couple of days after the accident so my insurance company must have passed my details over promptly but I have no notes from that call which is unusual for me.I was still in shock, and by then in considerable pain and was surprised to be contacted on a Saturday afternoon. A month later I had a letter from a young person introducing himself, and informing me that the tractor owner disputes liability along with an accident report form for me to fill out. I thought he was a solicitor and it took a while before I discovered he is a paralegal.
It sounds as if you are as nonplussed as I am being asked to complete a form which is so obviously inapplicable to me and requires me to sign a statement of truth followed by a note that false information leads to criminal or civil proceedings being brought against me. It will be interesting to see how this develops.
Thank you once again for your time and attention.
Warmest wishes,
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi ***** hope my feedback has reached you OK. Things seem to be a bit off track as I had your last message online four times. I also asked how I discontinue my membership as I am satisfied with your answers to my questions but haven't had a reply to that email. Jill

Hi Jill, you would have a defence as you are being asked to do this by a regulated law firm. It may be as well to co-operate with them but to be honest, a paralegal should not be dealing with a large loss claim (the costs are six figures and your claim will be a multi track case - something which I would never ask a paralegal to do, given the complexity). At the very least you should have a qualified solicitor / associate / partner ideally dealing with this.
In relation tot your membership, customer services can be contacted by email to***@******.*** or here:

Many thanks