Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

We have recently moved out of a property (26/05) in North

Customer Question

We have recently moved out of a property (26/05) in North Cheam, where we rented privately through Foxtons Estate Agents in which the property was managed by the Landlord.The day after we moved out (27/06) I was contacted by the landlord to let me know that he was not happy with the cleaning that had taken place at the property. We had used and paid for a cleaning service through the estate agent as we thought it would cause less of a hassle when the final inventory inspection was completed. After talking to both the landlord and the area manager of the Estate agency it was agreed that we would get a specialist carpet cleaning company in to reclean the carpets at a date that would suit both the landlord and the new tenants. As the new tenants were moving in over the weekend (Saturday 29/Sunday 30) there wasn’t much time for a turn around so the work would have to happen once the tenants had moved in.The landlord then sent me a few pictures of the painting that had been done. During our time in the property one of my young children got hold of lipstick and attacked one of the bedroom walls, we mention it to the landlord during an inspection in January and asked if we could get the paint colour as we would like to touch up the effected walls before it becomes an issue. On Wednesday 19/05, a week before we were scheduled to move out, I received a picture of a paint tin from the Estate agency with a colour (Natural Hession) which would in absolutely no way match the colour (a light grey) on the walls.As the walls were marked far more then what would be considered “wear and tear” we took it upon ourselves to repaint the room. The landlord was not happy with the final outcome, so I told him I would be more then happy to get somebody in to repaint the room and fix any touch ups that may have been needed at a time that would suit the new tenants and himself. This took place on Tuesday 01/06.After which we did not hear back from the landlord or Foxtons after specifically saying to the landlord that the moment he hears from the tenants when would be an appropriate day for me to organize both the cleaning company and the painter/decorator to enter the property to please let me know so I am able to contact the relevant companies.Yesterday (Monday07/06) we received an email from Zero Deposit stating that the landlord is claiming £1656 in damages to the property.I don’t want to agree to this and honestly don’t think I have to, as my partner and I have both gone above and beyond to rectify any damages that we may have made in the property and were never given the chance to follow this through. We have kept the quotes from the companies that we had been in contact with, many of which held on for days waiting for us to tell them a date that they could go in and do the work. I also find it a bit odd that I received the above mentioned email before I received the exit inventory check list.Sorry for the longwinded message. I would just like to know if I have a leg to stand on.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The property is in North Cheam, Sutton, London. We have moved to Lower Earley, Reading
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing, apart from what I have said in the above message. We recieved the email at 17:45 last night so I wanted to see whether or not we have legal grounds to fight this.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We are a family of five. My partner and I, and our three children aged 5 and 2(twins). We also have 2 medium sized dogs.
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 10 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

Please confirm whether a breakdown of the amount required was provided to you?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Anthony,Thank you for the swift response. I completely understand that it may take some time.The breakdown of costs is as follows:Painting x2 chimney walls in magnolia colour Materials - £16
Painting x2 chimney walls in magnolia colour Materials - £60Touch up to wood in the grey bedroom materials - £30Removing Carpet - £150
New Carpet Materials - £800
New Carpet Materials - £600Kind RegardsRobert

Thanks for the further information.

I suggest you challenge the costs of the damaged items because it appears the landlord seeks the costs of a new carpet when he should be seeking the costs to clean the carpet. Therefore you should seek to obtain your quotes on the costs to clean the carpet. The other items claimed should be reviewed and check whether the amount claimed is excessive in comparison to the price to repair or replace it.

Further once you have your figures and arguments prepared ensure you send it to the deposit scheme adjudicator to consider before a decision is made.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome then you can consider court action against the landlord to recover the deposit amount.

With regards ***** ***** action I suggest you consider instructing a solicitor to assist you or you can return to JA and we can assist you with this process.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.