How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2635
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I have a situation where I allowed my father to stay in my

Customer Question

Good morning I have a situation where I allowed my father to stay in my house temporarily whilst he was between homes that was 2 years ago and he wont leave
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in the UK, Worthing west sussex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I spoke to him and he became violent, I then sent him an email and asked him to leave giving him 2 weeks notice, he lost his temper and said he needed to get his 2nd covid jab. So I waited until he had his second jab and then I wrote to him again and gave him a months notice to leave
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I dont believe so, he pays no rent or any type of contribution
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 6 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks Vineet
Expert:  Vineet S replied 6 days ago.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the above.

Could you please confirm if your father is sharing the house with you or is he is in some other property?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
he is sharing the house with me. It is my property registered in my name. he has never financially contributed to the property
Expert:  Vineet S replied 6 days ago.

Right, if the father is refusing to leave and acted violently when asked to leave, then you evict your father peacefully.

However you must give the person reasonable notice that you would like them to leave.

Once the notice period has ended, you are within your rights to change the locks and evict him peacefully. You can’t use any physical force to make him leave, because, in doing so, you might be committing a criminal offence.

you can peacefully evict him by changing the locks when he is not around.

If your father refuses to leave or is violent towards you, you might want to try to ask the police to escort him from the property.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 6 days ago.

He should get in touch with his local council to get an alternative accommodation.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 6 days ago.

Council should make arrangement for his emergency housing if he has nowhere to go.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 6 days ago.

I hope this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.