Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I'm owed a total sum of over £20k from a company i completed

Hi, i'm owed a total sum of over £20k from a company i completed works for back in December 2020 and i've only received £500. No dispute in works carried out just company keep promising payment week after week with no outcome. I've processed a county court claim. Would it be in my best interest to still contact a solicitor? Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've had promise after promise (broken) I was promised payment with amounted to nothing. Told a payment plan was being drawn up i received nothing.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that i can think of. I have a chain of emails

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

How long has this money been owed to you for?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I received 3x separate payment notices on different occasions and invoiced 1st on 12/11/2020 which i was then told to re-send on 17/12/2020

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now.

Legally, you are not required to use a solicitor and can pursue the claim yourself, without the need to be legally represented. Of course, having a solicitor help your case can be beneficial, especially if there are some more technical aspects to the claim. However, if it is simply a case of money being owed and you can evidence why it is owed, then t does not sound like a very technically challenging claim and it should be something you pursue yourself and perhaps get ad-hoc legal advice as and when needed.

The main issue with using a solicitor is costs. They are not cheap and these costs will eat into any amount you potentially recover. Also remember that there is never a guarantee that you will win the claim and if you were to lose, you will still be liable for the solicitor’s costs. There is an option to find a no win no fee lawyer but that depends on how strong they believe your case is.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.