How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2681
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

Can I sue someone for committing adultery, I am in England,

Customer Question

Hi can I sue someone for committing adultery
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing I just know the guy who slept with my wife and have text message evidence I want to know if I can sue him coz my wife gave him money from our savings
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I can give them more information if I can talk to them but I have heaps evidence my wife even breached covid rules to go sleep out with him
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,

In the UK, adultery is not a criminal offence. However, it is grounds for divorce.

So, you can not sue that third person , however you can apply for divorce on the basis of adultery if you can prove it in the court.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Adultery can only be used as a reason for divorce if the proceedings start within six months of the adultery coming to light.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

I hope this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
there's no law that covers marriages against people like this
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
In the event I do divorce then I still have to pay for her up keep and he gets to enjoy it. So what is the use, thanks
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

You can dissolve your marriage on the basis of adultery.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Adultery may have very little effect on the financial settlement, court may not punish a spouse financially when making a financial court order because that spouse has committed adultery and other spouse decided to end the marriage.