How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2700
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

It is reaaly about my neighbours newly arrived UK and having

Customer Question

Hi, It is reaaly about my neighbours newly arrived UK and having difficulties with benefits. They speak no English and require advice. A Slovak speaking advisor is essential
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No I didn't know where to send them for advice. And solicitor needs to be slovak speaking Help !
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: ...... contacting you ! Also Citizens advice who say they have no access to interpretators
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I can give you Rudolphs phone number so solicitor can contact them himself providing he speaks slovakian.. I personally know nothing of their situation except the have no money coming in at all. Would you like Rudolphs phone number?
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JA, I amCustomerone of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 6 days ago.

The best option in this situation is for them to attend the local citizens advice bureau and speak with an advisor there. The CAB are able to provide interpreters and to assist with the application process if they are eligible.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ihave tried CAB.... they do not deal with interpretators. They have already applied and initially the husband recieved benefit. When his wife joined him all benefits stopped. This is third time I have explained this !!!
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
This web page is just a rip off !!!!!! demanding money for phonecalls, and to just explain the problem to a solicitor. I know you don't give a damn so long as the money keeps rolling in but you are messing with the lives of people who have no money at all !!! you should be ashamed.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 3 days ago.

My apologies for the delayed response, it is unfortunate my response is so late in light of your concerns. It was inadvertent and I was not aware of your follow up message.

it is unfortunate you feel this way. I assure you as a professional, there is no way I would risk my professional integrity to scam someone even if it is that I am assisting remotely.

what you must understand is that interpreters are very much a personal thing. It is very unusual for you to find a solicitor who speaks a foreign language in order to assist. There is also no obligation on the state to provide interpreters which may explain why the CAB does not have an interpreter. Usually the CAB is able to help with completing the application if the person is able to speak little English.

if the CAB has said they are unable to assist then it is incumbent on the applicant, that is your friend, to instruct someone to assist them with interpreting at the CAB. The onus is on your friend to visit the CAN with someone who is able to assist with interpreting.

The reason the benefit was stopped is because the assessment is now joint. It is likely that they would have taken into account the other spouses financial circumstance in deciding on entitlement. They could have however gotten their assessment wrong as I have known them to do.