Jo W
Jo W, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
112062897

I am interested if i can make and swll moulds of a shape

Customer Question

hello there. i am interested if i can make and swll moulds of a shape that i didnt design myself but found in a charity shop?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: in what way?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  Jo W replied 15 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a solicitor here to help you with your question. I will respond as soon as practicable which will be some time today.

Expert:  Jo W replied 15 days ago.

Hello.  If you are copying art and making it for yourself then this is okay.  If you are copying it with the intention of selling then this infringes copywright as it is effectively stealing another artist's work.

You could, for example, change it slightly and also if/when you sell it make it clear that it is your art.

I hope this answers your question. If not, do let me know.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
So the original piece is a little tray with some geaphic illustrations on it. it also has a base that stands on.
I make moulds for casting and tye casting does not include this graphic obviously, only the shape of this tray. My mould also doesnt include the base so the pieces that are produced using my moulds dont have the graphics and the base... would this be okay as it looks different. I only use the shape as model.
Thank you for your reply! really appreciate it!
Expert:  Jo W replied 14 days ago.

Hi there. Apologies for the late reply.  I've been offline.  Sounds different enough to me. Good luck with it.  Jo