How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2676
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I am an Austrian citizen and would like to move to the US, I

This answer was rated:

Hell, I am an Austrian citizen and would like to move to the US
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I havent. I am an Autrian citizen and live in the UK
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am full-time employed. I have a Masters degree and I am 25 years old.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok that's fine

Hi there,

Hi there,

There are 2 main options for migrating to the USA.

1) Worker Programs

One of the main ways immigrants can obtain a Green Card in the US is through employment. If an individual chooses the employment pathway, it is important that they also obtain a work visa in order to work legally. Immigrant work visas include the EB-1 and EB-2, as well as H-1B, L-1, O-1, E-1,.

2)Family sponsorship.

Another option to immigrate to USA is through family-based preferences, as an immediate relative of a US citizen and family preference. Depending on your relation to family members in the United States, you may be eligible for the visas that fall under this category.

Immediate Relative

These visa types are based on a close family relationship with a United States citizen.

  • IR-1: Spouse of a U.S. Citizen

  • IR-2: Unmarried Child Under 21 Years of Age of a U.S. Citizen

  • IR-3: Orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. Citizen

  • IR-4: Orphan to be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen

  • IR-5: Parent of a U.S. Citizen who is at least 21 years old

Family Preference

These visa types are for specific, more distant, family relationships with a U.S. citizen and some specified relationships with an LPR .

  • Family First Preference (F1): Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their minor children, if any.

  • Family Second Preference (F2): Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters (age 21 and over) of LPRs.

  • Family Third Preference (F3): Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children.

  • Family Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children, provided the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years of age.

There are unlimited visas available in the Immediate Relative group, whereas there are a specific amount of Family Preference visas available annually.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I do not have a work visa
But I have an aunty (my Dad's sister) living in America.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is it possible as an Austrian citizen to reside in the US permanently
without a work visa or relative visa?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What are my options?

Under the family preference F4 provides for brothers and sisters of US citizens who can sponsor a family preference visa, to their brothers family and their minor children, Unfortunately as you are 25 , you do not fall into that category.

No, an Austrian can not live and work in the USA without a visa.

You would need visa to live permanently in the US.

You can explore F1( student visa) , if you are open to studies.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry, I don't understand. My age excludes me from the category?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry do you mind explaining why I wont be eligible for the family preference option?

Yes, you are 25 yrs of age?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am

under F4 - only brothers and their minor children( who are under 18 yrs of age) can be sponsored.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I see
So without Family or work there is no way?

unfortunately, yes.

Vineet S and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay thank you!

Thank you. Best wishes.