How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo W Your Own Question
Jo W
Jo W, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 89
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo W is online now

I need to enforce a court order for a debtor to repay a debt

This answer was rated:

Hello, I need to enforce a court order for a debtor to repay a debt owed to me. However I do not have the debtors address, can the court or bailiffs find this out for me? Thank you.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Bournemouth, the debtor lives in Hedge End, Southampton. I have a business address for him but my signed for letter has been returned, opened, with a 'no longer at this address' written on the envelope. He has also rung me previously pretending to be someone else but I recognised his voice.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I applied for a court order to enforce him coming to court to provide evidence of his financial situation but I was unable to issue it as I am not sure where he is now. I have sent the orders back to the court to request another date. I would prefer to send bailiffs but I don't have a defintie address.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No except will I be charged for their advice and if so, how much?

Hello. My name is***** am a solicitor here to help you with your question. I will respond as soon as practicable which will be some time today.

Hello.  Unfortunately this is a relatively common problem - enforcing the Order.

Neither the Court nor the Bailiffs provide a location service for debtors.  The bailiffs are usually very practical and will do their best when they go to try to establish where a Defendant has gone to but it is not their job to provide an address for him.

I assuming from what you say that you have obtained the Order.  What you can do, if you know yourself, is provide the Court with alternative addresses for service, ie these would be an address you know he has been at and one different from the one you used with the Court.  You would need to speak with the Court to do this.

I realise that you are completely stuck if you/the bailiffs can't locate the debtor and the responsibility sits with the Claimant to "find" the debtor.  Depending on the level of debt, you could employ a personal investigator.

I am sorry that I don't have any easy answers for you but this is often a problem.  Any questions, let me know.

PS - the charge is the registration charge you paid.  There is a one off charge of approx £5 to cover this answer.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK thank you for your help. Kind Regards, ***** *****

No worries. Good luck. See if you can speak to the bailiffs, they may not let you.

Jo W and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Oh is it possible to speak to the Bailiffs? Would this be through a request to the court? By 'they' do you mean the court?