How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2657
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I have a friend who is Portuguese and has lived in this

Customer Question

I have a friend who is Portuguese and has lived in this country for 26 years, he's id card has expired so he is having problems renewing his status in this country could you advise what options he has
JA: What steps has your friend taken? Has he filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country does your friend live in? If different, what is his citizenship?
Customer: he tried to renew his status in this country but he doesn't have a British passport, so his id card he was allowed to come to this country with has expired
JA: Has your friend talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: that should be all, he just needs sort this out because of brexit
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

Hi there,

Your friend can apply for settled status under the EU settlement scheme . He would need his Portuguese's passport or national ID to apply .

If the passport has expired in  2020, then it can still be used due to COVID 19 concessions.

He would need your EU passport or National ID and other proof of his residence in the UK to apply for settled status under the EU settlement scheme. which can be done online using the below weblink-

There is no fee to apply. You must apply before 30th June 2021.

Alternatively he can also apply for Indefinite Leave to remain in the UK , under the UK domestic immigration rules , on the basis of his long residency. he would have to prove that he has been living in the UK legally for 10 years or more.

I hope this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.