Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Iam an artist a person has commissioned a painting but they

Customer Question

Hello Iam an artist a person has commissioned a painting but they want printing rights to it, I said I can't guarantee prints won't be made in future by my own forgetfulness I know it sounds stupid but is there any way I can draft something or do something to protect myself ?
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: Paid a deposit
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The work has not yet started
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 13 days ago.

Expert:  Joshua replied 13 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

May I confirm from what you say that you are content to grant the rights to print but are concerned to ensure that you also have the potential right to print in the future for the reason you refer to please?

Expert:  Joshua replied 13 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms based upon what you say, you would need to consider granting a non-exclusive licence to the commission client to reproduce the work but ensure that that licence is not exclusive further ensure that you do not sign over any further intellectual property rights in relation to the painting other than the right to reproduce the same on the above non-exclusive basis.

This would ensure that the client in question is free to reproduce the work as you agreed but not on an exclusive basis and accordingly if you later reproduce the work yourself or indeed together action in relation to the work, you would not be in breach of any copyright as you have not granted any rights other than a limited non-exclusive licence to reproduce the work

Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

I hope the above answers all your questions. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me otherwise thank you very much for visiting JustAnswer and I hope we will see you again in the future.