Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

My husband died recently, do i need apply for probate. what

Hi, my husband died recently, do i need apply for probate.
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: what do you mean by state i am in .
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Dead certificates.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We owned our main residence jointly, saving account and curreny account jointly.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about that.

Could you please confirm if your Husband has left a Will or not?

Hi there,

A person who dies without a will is known as ‘dying intestate. If your Husband has no will, so to sort his estate you need to apply for a ‘grant of letters of administration’ - also known as a grant of probate.

The first step in applying for probate involves getting hold of certain documents and make copies of it. The documents including-

• Death certificate

• Birth certificate

• marriage or civil partnership certificate, if the person was married

You’ll need to attach copies of these various documents to probate forms PA1A , and to access your husband’s bank accounts, and other assets.

Please click below for the relevant PA1A form-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-probate-by-post-if-there-is-not-a-will

I hope this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is this needed in all circumstances and is there a threshold. His current and savings accounts and main residence is in joint name. The only thing that he specifically has in his name is ***** ***** is 30k and Pension, both of which the bank and pension company have not asked for probate.

You need to check with the Bank for ISA , if you are named nominee in the account, then you would need the probate, as rest of the accounts are in the joint name.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily further assist you via this online chat.

If you have any follow-up question, please let me know