Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Yesterday I made a huge mistake at work which was totally my

yesterday I made a huge mistake at work which was totally my fault and has been dismissed today pending an investigation I would like to speak to someone about what the potential consequences are please Stephanie
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Andover Hampshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I was escorted off site (I work as a teacher within a prison) so the prison has terminated my access to the prison and my employer is a college, I have spoken to my boss this morning as it was early and he hadn't arrived yet, as to update him before he gets it dropped in his lap and am waiting to hear from him but basically the college will terminate my contract
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The prison will be carrying out an investigation and will be informing the police, I made a huge error of judgement but nothing illegal has happened so I'm not sure what the next steps are

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
of course

What do you specifically want to know about this, please? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** type up a statement of events and a few questions I would like to know and post this asap, I do appreciate it may take some time, so I will understand if there isn't an reply for a day or so. Thank you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I was employed by Weston college as a Lecturer in Barbering within HMP Coldingley and I have held this position since August 2019 until this morning.Yesterday (Monday 7th June) I made the biggest mistake of my life, in one moment if madness, I was caught kissing an inmate by someone and this was reported, when I arrived for work today, I was escorted the the No.1 governor office with prison security and was told that access to the prison has been terminated and to hand in ID and keys, they will be carrying out an investigation and informing the police.I left the grounds and immediately called my boss to inform him of the situation, he took it quite well, obviously the college will go through the motions of terminating my contract. It was a massive mistake and I don't have any defence apart from I totally forgot who and where I was.QuestionsCan I still get a reference from my employers (Weston college).Is there any crimianl charges that I need to be aware of.I know the guy will be in the segregation block now on lockdown and the prison has already said he will have more time added to his sentence. He was due to go to d-cat later this year, do you know how much longer he could get on top for this. I feel so bad, so out of character, very ashamed of myself right now.Thank youStephanie

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

As far as criminal charges are concerned, I have also consulted a criminal lawyer to be sure, but we are both of the opinion tat this will not be the case here. As long as the inmate had capacity to consent to what happened, this is not a criminal issue, although it can affect your employment. Only if the inmate had mental health issues, which made him lack capacity and you took advantage of that, will there be a potential criminal concern.

As far as the reference goes, I am afraid it is unlikely they will agree to issue one, or if they do, they will likely mention what happened. You have to remember that employers have no legal duty to provide a reference so they can simply decide they will not be giving you one. If they did issue one, they have every right to mention what happened as it is the truth and provides an accurate representation of what happened in your employment.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.