JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

My account is frozen by bank for than 3 months, London,

Customer Question

hello, my account is frozen by bank for than 3 months
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London , issue with my bank
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've called them to unfreeze my account but no issue.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: just want some legal advice
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 10 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly. I cannot take a call but note your call request is live so another expert will call you unless you decide to cancel it.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 10 days ago.

The only way to resolve this is to go through the complaints procedure - as there is an Ombudsman to help you if the bank does not uphold your complaint. You have protection and banks do this if they are suspicious of a transaction which took place and is a safeguarding system they have. They should tell you why they have done this though - they may suspect some sort of fraudulent activity but if they are not answering you, you should make a Subject Access Request (SAR) to find out what information they have.

Here is a useful link for a SAR request:

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-to-get-copies-of-your-data/preparing-and-submitting-your-subject-access-request/

You also have a right to expect a service (from the bank) carried out with reasonable care and skill. Furthermore, the account service should be “fit for purpose” and “as described”. If it isn’t then you can allege breach of contract. You can report them to the Financial Conduct Authority on 0800(###) ###-####

You should now make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response. The bank's complaints policy will be on their website if you take a look.

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with the bankr which would hopefully result in a reinstatement of the account and access restored. They can order the bank to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly.

Once you have their final response, you can make the complaint to the Ombudsman here : www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain

Or by email:***@******.***

Based on the circumstances, assuming the bank does not uphold your complaint, I am sure the Ombudsman will do. The Ombudsman will look at this case independently and will make a decision based on what happened. Their decision is binding on the bank.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 10 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 10 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim