How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13870
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I am a landlord of a small house, and my tenant has just

Customer Question

i am a landlord of a small house, and my tenant has just issued me with a draft personal injury claim. She alleges that she has tripped on the staircase and has suffered injury. Unfortunately my landlord insurance has expired. I have been advised that i should take out "after -the event insurance" in order to deal with the claim, as i am very concerned that i will end up with a large bill defending and then a large claim. I understand that i can only get this insurance through a solicitor and need advice please
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

If your policy of insurance was active at the time of the alleged accident - you must inform your insurers as they will still cover you for this. So please do that without delay. If your policy expired before the accident then you are faced with having to go it alone.
After the Event insurance is usually reserved for claimants when they sign up to a no win no fee agreement. It protects them from any adverse costs and I have not heard of a defendant being able to take an ATE Policy out. What you will need is a defence litigation law firm who will do their best to ensure either the claim is struck out, or the claimant recovers a modest sum. I don't know if she has a law firm - your question made no mention, nor whether you received a letter of claim. If you did, you must reply to the letter of claim to confirm receipt and confirm that you or your lawyer will confirm your stance in relation to liability within the 3 month period under the personal injury pre action protocol. You should also ask for sight of their full medical records (GP, hospital, scans, any physio records, etc - to confirm she was actually injured and also to check whether she has any pre existing issues).
​I will find suitable law firms for you who can defend the claim for you. Back shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 8 days ago.
this was very helpful - thank you. I will contact all 3 of the solicitors you have sent me and see if they can help me further
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Thanks Andrew, also if you are active on social media, see if she is posting anything about the accident - some claimants do this and brag about/exaggerate their claims, etc.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Jim - i will check on social media as you suggest
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

No problem, thanks - to be honest the law firm will do that for you but thought I would mention it.