james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I've got building and content insurance had a fire on

Customer Question

I've got building and content insurance had a fire on Saturday night up stairs is gutted we only have smoke alarm ground floor a loss ajuster is calling are we still covered
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bradford uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Insurance said we covered never asked about smoke alarm but loss ajuster is coming will they ask about smoke alarms
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you how long will this take
Expert:  james bruce replied 5 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Very sorry to hear what has happened, I hope no one was hurt in the fire.

Whether  you will be covered on the policy, will depend on the terms and conditions of the policy, and in particular to the need for smoke detectors.

If the police clearly states detectors in all rooms then you could be uncovered.
If the policy states upstairs and down stature, then again you could be uncovered. However if the policy says nothing about detectors, or simply says the property need to have a detector then you should be fine.

The loss adjuster or more likely coming to check the amount of damage and value the costs for repair.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Just read my policy which I took out Nov 2019 nothing in it about smoke alarm I have one down stairs but not up where to fire was my insurance r sending out cleaning team and loss ajuster out am I still covered only having smoke alarm in hall way down stairs

If the policy does not specially the need for detectors then you should be fine.

As explained they are coming most likely to assess the leval of damage value wise.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Is it law to have smoke doctors on both floors

Only in rented property.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.