Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

Can a uk director appoint a proxy to vote at board meetings,

Customer Question

Can a uk director appoint a proxy to vote at board meetings
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It's a limited company
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will wait
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 11 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 11 days ago.

No, Directors cannot appoint a Proxy at Board Meetings to attend and vote in their place.   Board Meetings must have sufficient Directors attending (Quorate) for decisions to be effective and binding on the company and other contracting third parties.

Alternatives to a Director appointing a proxy include:

- Postponing the Board Meeting so that a sufficient number of Directors are available to attend to make it quorate;

- Holding the Board Meeting by phone or cloud video platform conference;

- An absent Director providing his opinion on the Meeting Agenda to the other Directors in advance of the Board Meeting which is still quorate despite his absence.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 11 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

LawyerEd