How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13869
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I am currently a recording artist signed to One Five Ninety

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** am currently a recording artist signed to One Five Ninety entertainment. Recently a documentary was aired on MTV UK called true life crime and false accusations & assumptions were made about me during the programme without my consent. These statements made have caused me to have very negative backlash, threats on social media & several hate messages. I’m not sure what I can do to fix this as it is affecting the way people view me and my on the Rise career has took a slight swindle, leaving people cautious about working with me in the near future. Could you please assist me with this matter or point me in the right direction. Thank you
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No & United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: These are the only steps I’ve taken
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
I am sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

So my view is that due to MTV's broadcast, this has clearly damaged your reputation. It is difficult to know what the damage may equate to in monetary terms - defamation cases are difficult at the best of times but generally, if the press or a broadcaster makes untrue statements then they would be found liable for your loss, now and in future. So you could have a claim for stress, loss of earnings, loss of future earnings too.

A defamation claim requires that someone has either verbally said something (slander), or written something (libel) which was untrue and they knew it to be untrue - with the intention to damage your reputation. The untrue comments have to be brought to a third party’s attention to qualify.
There is a defence if the person who made the comments can prove the comments were true, or they held an honest belief their comments were true.
So there is a high evidential burden to prove defamation - meaning a lengthy court case. Unless they admit liability early on which is desirable - and the law firm would push for an early admission so that you could secure interim funds before the case finished.

You can claim for any financial loss incurred such as lost business, lots future job prospects and anything else reasonably incurred.

The limitation period is only 1 year for a defamation claim, so the law firm will need to ensure they issue the claim at court within a year of the incident.

To stop further damage either yourself or the law firm would need to send them a cease and desist letter. A template “cease and desist” letter is available at

I would ask the law firm to this - whilst you could send it to MTV they have a legal team and you should instruct one of your own so you are on an equal footing.

These claims are complex with them being heard in the High Court so you would be well advised to instruct a firm on a no win no fee basis - a few do offer this so you would not have to pay anything up front. Here are examples of law firms who could help you with this, though there are others :

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

I would highly recommend a law firm is instructed. We are an internet forum so can only give information and guidance from a legal standpoint (we couldn't act for you unfortunately).

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your correspondence & apologies for my delayed response. I have found your advice very helpful but had a few more questions. What if the information broadcasted were true but the the producers withheld parts of the truth to build a certain narrative? Is that something I can still claim against?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 2 days ago.

You could do, yes. The evidence would need to be obtained and considered then it'd be a question for the court to determine whether the producers acted in a way that means you were "defamed". I would say their intention was to do so - so yes, I think you can still go ahead with this.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Okay thank you very much for your advice. I have reached out to the lawyers firms recommended & hopefully they can help me take this matter further
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 2 days ago.

My pleasure, thanks and I am sure one of them will assist further with this.
Have a good day