How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4466
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I need to change a name on my exsons birth certificate how

Customer Question

Hello I need to change a name on my exsons birth certificate how do I go about doing so?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: basically my ex has threatened to take my son he’s not his biological dad but is on the birth certificate of my son.I’ve been advised to seek legal help with this matter from the police and I’m in London plumstead
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: reported the incident to the police which happened on 6/62021 got a cAD number and they told me to get a solicitor and start contact arrangements n get him of the birth certificate
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: it’s being treated a domestic violence matter also could I get a injunction out on him?and do u take legal aid?
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 4 days ago.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. Were you aware at the time that you registered the child's birth that this man was not the biological father? How old is the child?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I was aware but he made me feel I had no choice but to put his name on the birth certificate I didn’t want to but did
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
My son is 7 years old now
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 4 days ago.

You will need an approved DNA test to show that he is not the biological father, or evidence of the actual biological father. You can find approved DNA test clinics here:

Then you will need to contact the registrar where you registered the child's birth to find out how to send in your application - at present it is likely to be by email.

This is the application form you need:

You can read a bit more here about what documents you'll need and the cost;

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
The police just called and said I can apply for a non molestion order how do I do that?
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 4 days ago.

Sorry, can I just confirm you actually saw my response to your original query?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I did
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank u
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 4 days ago.

You can apply for an NMO on form FL401 - no court fee.