How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7987
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have been renting a house for seven years, I have a

This answer was rated:

I have been renting a house for seven years, I have a contract signed until February 2022, but due to the conditions in the house, I would like to terminate the contract faster and not pay for the rental until the end of the contract
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Grays Essex Rm175yn
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I contacted the agency
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the house in which I live is full of mildew, ants are walking in it, some plants grow, and walls and I have a pregnant wife And small children
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the situation at home really worsened from year to year, this year, after winter, mold and fungus began to appear everywhere on the walls. In addition, the floor breaks and a plant begins to grow in the living room, ants have started to make a nest in one of the walls and the agency takes only ad hoc measures. My wife and I decided to buy our own property to escape these conditions, but the agency threatens us with penalties if we terminate the contract before the deadline, please help
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I don't want my children and my pregnant wife to have to live in such conditions. I have no direct contact with the landlord to try to communicate with him. I tried to ask politely if it was possible to terminate the contract by mutual agreement, I heard that I will have to pay until the agency refurbishes and rents the apartment to someone, as well as for re-listing the house for rent, about £ 900


I am a solicitor.

Sorry to hear this. You should inform the agency that the property is unfit for human habitation and you should also threaten to complain to the environmental health department of your local authority as they have the power to take enforcement action against the owner of the property for the issues with the property.

You should inform the agency that they should accept a mutual surrender of your tenancy with immediate effect and you stop paying rent with immediate effect failing which you may also take legal action against the owner for damages for the issues with the property.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
is it possible for the Lord to write on my behalf a letter to this agency or to provide at least some legal basis on which I could rely

This is a Q&A forum. You may instruct a high street solicitor to write aletter for you.

All the best

UKSolicitorJA and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you