james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Eon had put a default on my credit file and refuse to amend

Customer Question

Eon had put a default on my credit file and refuse to amend it - i moved out of a property June 2020 thinking all my domestic bills were up to date and they sent a letter to my old property (not an email they had on file) saying they would but a default on the account. They did this and I was unaware until I checked my credit file. I disputed this with the credit reference agencies and they sent the dispute to EON. EON Refused saying they sent me a letter but how was i supposed to have received it when i moved address. I paid the balance to settle it on my credit account. I did not even know if i was overpaying but i took their word for it. It is all settled but i am getting refused for a mortgage. How can i proceed and get EON to remove the default?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: raised a dispute with the credit reference agencies and they have gone back to EON who refuse to remove the default
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
HI HAVE YOIU RESPONDED
Expert:  james bruce replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

very sorry to hear this has happened.

Unfortunately, an account holder is full responsible for the management of their account and to ensure bills are settled on time.

If a payment is missed or is late, then that’s person runs the risk of having a default notice placed on their credit file. Once that happens it remains there for six years. Even if the amount is settled, the company has no legal obligation to remove that.

As for you moving, the company would have written to you ate your know address. If you moved, then sorry to say the burden is on you to notify people and companies you may owe money or balances to of your new address, or even quicker set up mail redirection with the post office.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.