Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My employer makes me wear a name batch with my country of

Customer Question

Hi My employer makes me wear a name batch with my country of origin, it looks like personal information disclosure and segregation of people, can I do something about it?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Yes, with manager, area manager and director of my company
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Im employee. I work in this work palce about 5 yrs. Im not in the Union
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

What is the purpose of having the country on the badge? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
When I ask mamgaer why he put the country flag there, he gets the answer that it is a customer's wish and the goal is to facilitate contact with the customers of the shopping center. My reason why I don't want to wear it is because no one asked me about the languages ​​I use and my employer put the flag of my country of origin there. I don't want my nationality information to be disclosed to public members.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

There are two types of personal data about a person – one called simply ‘personal data’ and another called ‘sensitive personal data’. In the case of sensitive personal data, that includes personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs.

There are special conditions for processing such data, which also means publishing it. See here for details:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/lawful-basis-for-processing/special-category-data/

It can be quite complex legally but to simplify it you should approach the employer and advise them that there are no lawful grounds for them to process that data and you have not consented to it and they will likely be acting in breach of the Data Protection Act by doing it.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.