MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I’m in a dispute with an energy supplier who I left in 2020

Customer Question

Hi there I’m in a dispute with an energy supplier who I left in 2020 after clearing account balance. Randomly in January, the old supplier began bombarding me with demands for money via emails (no statements, no invoices). I complained to the ombudsman who found in my favour but the energy supplier refused to adhere to the ruling & has now hired a debt collection agency for another random amount. I’m exhausted trying to get them to stop harassing me but they won’t abide by UK law or ombudsman ruling. I don’t know what to do
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: tried to make a formal complaint with energy supplier - denied
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: yes - the ombudsman ordered them to send a letter of apology, to award me £100 & send an invoice for £109 for me to pay (crossover between moving supplier). The ombudsman had to force them to send the letter but they refuse to supply the ordered invoice and instead have had a debt collection agency contact me today asking for £280. Told the debt collection agency I’m willing to pay £109 as ruled by the Ombudsman. Debt collection agency were not made aware of ombudsman involvement and say they won’t do anything for 14 days & will contact energy supplier stating I will happily pay, but only the correct, ordered amount
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

Hello I am happy to help this evening.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

If the ombudsman used was https://www.ombudsman-services.org

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

You should contact them to assist you with the enforcement. They work closely with companies to provide one-to-one support to help improve the way their services are delivered, and their complaints are handled.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

That would be the best course of action.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

If you have already done this without any success the next course of action is to contact the supplier and advise that you are happy to pay the amount you have stated above. Ask them to confirm that no further action will be taken by the debt collection agency and ask them to confirm this in writing by post or email.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The ombudsman said the co are allowed to go to a debt collection agency, despite being ordered to apologise, accept £109 + a £100 goodwill. The co sent debt collectors without any notice to me
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** and have been bluntly told to pay £280 or they will keep adding fees
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

Have you spoken to the energy company since?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
today - they literally laughed at me and called me ‘stupid’, asking “what part of pay your debt don’t you understand?” Can’t make it up
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

My goodness! That in itself would justify a further complaint.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

Are you in a position to pay it and get rid of the inconvenience?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It’s outrageous - they outright refuse to allow me to complain, ignored the Ombudsman & now sent debt collectors (who have been very nice). I even tried saying I’m happy to pay the £109 as they’ve been ordered & she laughed and said “pay the £280 you owe us”. She claimed I have to pay £70 admin fee + fee for the debt collection. I don’t know if small claims might make them go away but no one seems to be able to reign them in! It’s Avro energy who everyone is complaining about online
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’m not prepared to pay what I don’t owe them
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Surely this is a consumer rights act 2015 breach? Not allowed to complain, making up amounts with no proof or official request for the funds, sending debt collectors without notice
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

Your best course of action is to settle the amount you acknowledge and are happy to. When paying write to them and set out the grounds on which you are paying and that you dispute the additional charges beyond the ombudsman’s ruling. Ask that any further correspondence take place via email or post so you have evidence of the interactions should you need to rely upon it if they take you to the small claims court.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

Within the letter you send state the following.

“I reserve the right to refer to this correspondence in court should the need arise.”

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
This is super helpful, thank you
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

No problem at all. It is extremely frustrating when these larger companies think they can do as they please when it comes to their customers and members of the public.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Absolutely infuriating - thankfully Octopus have been great!
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with this evening?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No thank you so much for your help - now it’s fingers crossed!
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

No problem. If you can leave a review when you receive an email it really helps my ratings.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
of course :-)
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

Great thanks.