How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I bought a property with my ex in 2016 where we had

Customer Question

Hi I bought a property with my ex in 2016 where we had declaration of trust. Long story short we sold the house in 2018. We sold with an agreed amount of how the monies would be split between us - both signed this document. Today (years later) he is now challenging this amount referring to the dec of trust. Even though he legally agreed he was happy with the 50/50 split (signed). Does that document we both signed for the sale override the dec of trust. ? Thank you
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: no I haven’t live in UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: writing to you
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No. I have the signed 50/50 legal doc.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Hello I am happy to help this evening. Do you have a copy of both the declaration of trust and the further signed agreement?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Bear with me
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello again is it necessary for me to upload these I’m just concerned around uploading these
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Not necessarily however the following can only be considered guidance and not specific to your case. I hope it helps.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Ordinarily the renewed agreement on a 50/50 basis should have stated that the new agreement supersedes any that have gone before it. You would need to check the agreement to determine this. The best course of action would be to contact the conveyancing solicitor that dealt with the sale.  They will be able to advise on the legalities of your specific agreements.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thank you for your help
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

No problem. Could you leave a review when you receive an email as it really helps my ratings?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Of course
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Thanks very much.