Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My dishwasher has stopped working in its warranty period, it

Customer Question

Hi, my dishwasher has stopped working in its warranty period, it has been deemed unrepairable because the part has been discontinued. I have been offered a replacement but they no longer do a like for like replacement, as my model is also discontinued. where do I stand.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have had 2 visits in that last 3 weeks to now be hold the part is not available. I have spoken to Samsung today they gave given me 2 model I can have as replacement. Mine is A+++ rated, both the of the option I have are D rated
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I don't think so.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

What are you ideally hoping to achieve in the circumstances, please? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Would like to know where is stand, in terms of them offering me a replacement. As I don't feel it is like for like. I have been offered a refund, but only a part refund.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Is there a model you have seen which you consider to be more like for like?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No they don't do a model that matches the spec of what I have now.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. When a private consumer makes a purchase from a business seller, they have certain 'statutory' rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. If you wanted to refer to the legislation directly, please follow this link:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 specifically states that there is an expectation that goods must be:

- of satisfactory quality – they must not be faulty or damaged

- as described – they must match any description given at the time of purchase

- fit for purpose – they should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for

If they do not meet the above requirements, the consumer will have certain legal remedies against the seller.

If the goods do not meet any of the above criteria, the consumer’s rights against the seller are:

1. Reject the goods and request a refund – this is known as the ‘short-term right to reject’ and must be applied within 30 days of purchase or, if later, delivery.

2. Repair or replacement – this is still an option in the first 30 days, if the consumer does not want a refund and becomes the standard options after the 30 days have passed. It is the consumer’s choice as to whether they choose a repair or a replacement. Obviously a repair may not always be possible, in which case it defaults to a replacement Only if that is not possible either will a refund be the only option left. The seller is entitled to reduce the refund amount to take into account usage for the period you have had it as you are not giving back a brand new item and have had use of it.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.