james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I have a problem in so much as, being executor to my mother

I have a problem in so much as, being executor to my mother in law’s will and estate, I am having trouble persuading my brother in law, who has lived at the family home for some time (rent free) to leave.He claims that, in order to get private rented property for him to live in he needs to provide a reference for the letting agent / landlord.Please could I ask for advice in terms of what he can do to meet that requirement if he has lived rent free at his mother’s property for six years and is struggling to provide a reference. I know, for example, that is entitled to approximately £65,000 from the estate of my mother in law when the house is sold up. Am I entitled to provide a reference explaining that he has lived in these circumstances and has this financial backing?Any advice offered would be appreciated as we seem to be reaching a “dead end” in terms of him moving out.That said - he a slippery character and he may be simply using this as an excuse not to move out.As I say - any advice would be very much appreciated.Thank you

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Yes you can provide a reference. The best way to do this would be as “Executor”  then simply state that he was resident tin the property and give the dates form and to, and finish confirming that there has been no issues whilst in resident and no outstanding debts.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Wow! That was fast at 3am! As always - thank you very much for your help. Kind regards. Joe

Your very welcome,

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Very possibly in the future, thank you - as this process is taking a long time and I’m simply solving individual problems as they arise -but for the moment - that answers a big issue for us, thank you.

Your welcome, good luck.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.