How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AkuaK Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1724
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
AkuaK is online now

Looking advice for a friend, he is trying to get residency

This answer was rated:

looking advice for a friend, he is trying to get residency of his 4 year old son, ex has mental health issues, various suicide attempts and overdoses. uses drugs and alcohol.he is from
another country, she told them she was worried he would get reaidenxy of son and leave country.he isn’t allowed to have his son overnight anymore until court goes back in couple of months, they are getting a physiatrist to talk to ex and access herhe feels he is being treated unfairly as they aren’t taking any of his concerns on board and he can’t see his son

Good afternoon,  is there any child arrangements order in place?

The father of the child cannot leave the country with their child without permission from the mother if they are dispute then the court would analyse the situation.

Is her ex resident in U.K.?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
he doesn’t want to leave the country with the child, he has a valid visa to stay in UK
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
nothing in place as yet
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
he used to take his son overnight but now court has ordered only couple of hours a week he is allowed to see him and someone will come out to check his house.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
he is worried about his ex’s drug use and MH as she has attempted suicide many times and been in hospital many times with her mental health

If he is concerned there is a safeguarding issue he would need to go back to court for order to be reviewed.1

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
they have a psychiatrist going to access her but no mention of doing any drugs testing,
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
it’s to go back to court in august until then he is to stay with mother and he can only see him for couple of hours a week

Under these circumstances you would need to raise concerns with psychiatrist.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
just feel like they aren’t looking into any of his concerns, she can’t cope with son for days on end and sends him off to grandparents when she can and now he can’t even take his son for few days cos he isn’t allowed to stay with him until house checked. but they won’t check mother’s house or issues

If there is a safeguarding issue he would definitely need to flag up these concerns.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
he has raised these with his solicitor but she seems happy enough to leave child there with mother and not worried about her mental health or drugs use.

He would need to keep liaising with Solicitor as if there is a major problem and something does happen when he has flagged it up it would be negligence.

AkuaK and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thanks i’ll tell him to get back on to his solicitor