Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I would like to increase the amount I charge for my staff

I would like to increase the amount I charge for my staff accommodation but would also like to increase their pay to offset the extra cost to them. What is the best way to go about this please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, in that I am trying to do the sums but my brain now hurts! this is an hotel, and live in staff currently pay £125 per month for their accommodation. I would like to increase this over a period of a year, to £350 per month, but don't want them to have to bear the cost of the increase. The other problem is of course, a lot of the staff do NOT live in, and wouldn't therefore get a pay increase!
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thank you

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Are you able to upload a copy of the contract you have issued to your live in employees?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No problem

Thank you. Are you able to upload a copy of the contract you have issued to your live in employees?

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with the following general response, which will hopefully still answer your query.

How you go about this will depend on how long each affected employee has worked there for. These with less than 2 years’ service are the easy ones – they have no unfair dismissal protection which means you can simply issue them with notice as per contract to terminate their contract and then re-issue the with a new one incorporating the changes. You just have to ensure you honour the current terms during the notice period.

Those with more than 2 years’ service will require more attention. You should consult with them to start with, explain the proposed changes and reasons for them and ask them to consent to the new terms being introduced. If they do, great – you then introduce the terms as agreed.

If they decline to accept them, your option is to leave them as they are, or still issue them with notice of termination and re-engage them on the new terms. The risk there is they may claim for unfair dismissal and you would have to provide a justifiable reason for dismissing them in the first place, such as how important these changes were to the business, could you have continued without them and how imperative they actually were, etc.

Hopefully the majority of employees will fall in the first two camps and you can change them without any real risks.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.