Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I live in a property that has been split into 2 and I have

Hi there I live in a property that has been split into 2 and I have no control over the heating as the boiler is in the other flat also the property doesn’t have any utilities bills to it as the electricity and water is all connected to the horse yard and now they r asking me to sign a tenancy agreement which I don’t think they can do
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: ????
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: flat location
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Hi there,

The usual system of dividing the cost of supplying heating / hot water by the number of tenants and charging them a share has become a criminal offence following the introduction of the Heat Network (Metering and Billing) Regulations 2014.

Landlords were required to install individual meters by 1 April 2016 for the individual rented units.

As it is statutory compliance, your Landlord is required to install individual electricity meters, and can not expect you to pay the heating bills, for which you do not have an individual meter for your property or any control over the usage.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok so the tenancy agreement there asking me to sign is void

Yes, the Landlord first need to install individual meters for the property.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thank you is there an act I can tell my landlord that has to be done

The Heat Network (Metering and Billing) Regulations 2014.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Also my heating is oil boiler so r u staying my landlord had to install a oil boiler and tank to my flat
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I can control the heating myself

It needs to be individual meters. If the boiler is in other part, then your Landlord would have to install a new boiler for your place as well.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok so the short hold tenancy agreement is not valid until then

Yes. The act came in effect in 2016.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is that the tenancy agreement act?

Yes, for residential tenancies.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’ve lived here for 20 months as the flat came with my job and no bills! And now my boss has retired he’s renting the yard to another trainer and it is him that’s asking me to sign this agreement what’s your advice

Remind this new landlord abut the relevant legislation I have mentioned above.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok it was actually a letter from an estate agent saying
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This is letter

There can not be single meter when number of tenants are living in the property, they need individual meters for their separate units.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
this the estate agent

Well, it is going to be AST , you will be responsible for the utility bills.

How they will decide how much is your usage from the single meter?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What’s AST there is no meters in my address at all I’ve 3 radiators but no control when there on or off

Assured shorthold tenancy.

"there is no meters in my address at all I’ve 3 radiators but no control when there on or off"

That's why they need to install individual meter for your rented accommodation.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thank you for help so I don’t have to sign this until this work is done in my property

Exactly, you can report this Landlord/Agent to your local council as well, if they force you to sign this new tenancy agreement without doing the requisite work.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you so much

My pleasure. Thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.