james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

On a prison pin phone when an inmate phones out to someone

On a prison pin phone when an inmate phones out to someone can the prison record and listen to the conversations

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi James thank you for your response, I'm not sure what the law is on recording voice phones calls in prison are.

The PIN phone system is a private telecommunications system and the interception of telephone calls takes place before the call connects to the public network. In order to provide adequate facilities to allow prisoners to maintain contact with others by telephone, the PIN phone system was configured to record all telephone calls that prisoners make except those to legal advisers, MPs, or other approved confidential numbers as listed in Section 2 of this PSI. It is not however necessary to monitor the majority of these calls.

I have attached a copy of the current prison service instruction on this subject.

It is the most up to date information, having been updated on the 1st April 2021

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/987156/psi-04-2016-interception-ccommunications-prisons-security-measures.pdf

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you so much James for swift reply and useful information. Can I ask another question if I had received a call from a prisoner on a pin phone but not under my own name and it is recorded can that be traced but to me? Is was on a new SIM not my own number. There was nothing illegal about the calls other than talking about personal things and chatting but I'm worried the prison will be able to use these recordings against me as I use to work there myself

That I cannot answer. That is a technical communication issue as to how calls can be traced. There would be details of the number called. So if that number belongs to you, then I would suggest yes it could be traced .

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you so much for your advice.

Your very welcome.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I think I need to write a statement out as I made a massive mistake this week and it's resulted in a prison investigation (nothing illegal I promise) I stupid got involved with a prisoner and caught in a comprising situation, I'm worried about consequences of the investigation and if the police are going to turn up at my door, I'm so worried

If you have done something wrong, then

Preparing a statement can help you if you are questioned.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.