How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MatthewM1117 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 339
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MatthewM1117 is online now

My Partner has had her rate of pay changed by her company

This answer was rated:

My Partner has had her rate of pay changed by her company illegally, we have started to confront them but they have offered her a 1 year back date however the issue went on since 26th sept 2019
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have contacted the company to look into the matter and their HR department are dealing with it, they gave us a call saying they will only back date a year due to us not raising it sooner
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: so the total time that her pay has been reduced for it about 85 weeks.

Good morning, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear about your partners circumstances, the Employment Rights Act 1996 (ERA) protects employees and workers from having unauthorised deductions made from their wages.

If you do not wish to accept the current offer you could bring the claim to an employment tribunal the claim should be brought within three months, from the date of payment from which the deduction was made. Where there is a series of deduction, the time limit begins with the last deduction in the series up to a maximum of two years.

The first step would be to contact ACAS on the following link:

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
what about the company placing the blame on her for not raising the issue sooner as its gone on for a long time.

That will not be a legitimate defence to not repaying back all the monies owed.

For example if the company had been making overpayments instead of underpayments, they would be entitled to claim back every penny that was overpaid.

Therefore your partner will be entitled to claim back all the monies owed, the only point to note is that tribunal claims can be lengthy currently around 10 months for a final hearing so you may wish to bear this is mind when considering which option to proceed with.

Hopefully I have answered your question but if anything remians unclear I will be happy to assist you further.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your help, i have spoken to them to notify i spoke to a solicitor and they have said they will reimburse the full amount.

Glad to be off assistance and that you managed to resolve the matter without any further action.

MatthewM1117 and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you