james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Nice to meet you is this online? im in the uk right now and

hi nice to meet you is this online?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: im in the uk right now and i have a question regarding giving two months notice to the landlord before moveout
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have only communicated with the consumer relationship manager
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: `i told him that despite vaguely implying on the contract, " all tenants shall give two months notice before moving out" would be a breach of the Consumer Rights Act as its an unfair term but they reply me saying that its common in the UK to require tenants to give two months notice to landlord, despite having fixed-term contract but i dont rly buy it its just unfair and 9 month-tenancy is all im signed up for
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
hi
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
as anyone stilll online?

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
hi thanks!
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi sorry im afraid due to language barrier i would prefer typing

Very sorry to say, but you are not correct with your view that the 2 month requirement is an unfair term under the consumer rights act.

The notice period is completely legal and fair under tenancy agreements.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
well im also sorry to say that i will have to cancel the membership and see you later..
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thank you for your answer tho
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
guessing theres nothing more that you can do right?!

Sorry to say, but if that is the notice period in your rental agreement then it is legal and enforceable. Sorry.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
well although i will cancel the memembership later, i do will rate you five stars and thank you for your help. However, as I've sen an article written by another lawer in the UK saying that if I sign for, for example 9 months tenancy, its all I'm signed up for, and the landlord can not ask me to pay rent in lieu of notice

Your welcome.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
also, on the contract it only says tenants shall give two months notice, it clearly has not stated if tenants fail to give notice, it would become periodic contract

A tenancy automatically become ps a periodic tenancy unless stated otherwise.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
but started on two months before the end of the tenancy??

The two months notice is required to confirm the rental would end at the end of the fixed period. If it then becomes periodic then two months notice required to end tenancy

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/unfair-contract-terms-cma37
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
https://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/legal/renting/how_a_tenant_can_end_a_tenancy/tenant_ends_an_assured_shorthold_tenancy

Yes, this can apply and make a clause in a contract void, unless it was negotiated between the parties.

If it is in the agreement and that has been signed then it can be implied that it has been negotiated and agreed.

Ultimately it is a case of either give the notice as per the contract, or do not and see if the landlord sues. Then it is down to which way a judge will decide.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi thank you for your information. It has really helped a lot! defo 5 stars

Your welcome.