Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

Question about a Foreign National with a driving license

Question about a Foreign National with a driving license from own country (Brasil) who is now resident in the UK. Normally 6 months is allowed for such a person to obtain their UK License but that has been impossible with COVID 19. I had read an extension had been given for foreigner's but difficult to get clarity from DVLA.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Hi there,

Anyone with a foreign valid full licence can drive type of vehicle shown on their licence for up to 12 months from the time you started living in GB.

To continue to drive after this you must pass your driving test before the 12-month period ends.

it is for the period of 12 months , and not 6 months that foreign national can drive on their foreign driving license.

I hope this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you for your response but what happens after the 12 months as COVID has been ongoing for 2 years. Is there an extension after the 12 months as impossible to get driving test.

Unfortunately, there is no extension on this due to COVID 19.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok, Thanks.

You are welcome. Thanks again