Jo W
Jo W, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
112062897

I have got secrion 21 notice from landlord which expires on

I have got secrion 21 notice from landlord which expires on 2nd october...
But he keeps sending me texts if inhv made any progress to find new place
What shall i do

Hello. My name is***** am a solicitor here to help you with your question. I will respond as soon as practicable which will be some time today.

HI there.  He is entitled to serve the Section 21 which is the "no fault" ground for gaining back possession of his property.  He is required to give 4 months' notice, which from the dates you give suggest he has.

If you don't leave the property, then he is entitled to apply for possession through the Courts.

However, repeated texts/correspondence from him is not necessary and depending on how frequent they are sounds unreasonable.

I suggest a brief response, saying that you have received the Notice and note its content and will advise him of any move out date and arrangements closer to the time but kindly ask him to desist from repeated questions in the meantime.

I trust that this has answered your question.  If not, let me know.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
If i dont find place till 2nd october...If my rent is up to date what he ll do and how long tht will take and am i gonna b prosecuted

Don't worry.  If your rent is up to date and you leave by the date given in the Notice you will have complied and done nothing wrong.  There will probably be a check out inventory and then the deposit will be dealt with if there was one.

By law, he cannot force you to move before the 2nd.

After the 2nd, if you didn't leave, then he can make an application to the Court to get the property back from you.  This involves filing papers and a hearing where the Court makes a decision whether to order possession.

IF you make sure your rent is paid, you hand the property back by the date in the Notice then he can't take you to Court for repossession.

I hope this makes it clear.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Last one
If he takes to court what will happen then if rent is up to date but im not leaving bcz i couldnt find place

If you don't leave, whether you are paying the rent or not makes no difference, he is entitled to get his property back after the Notice has expired.  If you remain in the property after expiry of the notice then he can go to Court and ask for repossession which could be very stressful and he could also apply to the Court for the costs of having to resort to repossession.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Stressful in what sense and how much fees ll b on my head and how much time approx before court decides

I have responded in full to your original and additional questions.  Going to Court tends to be a stressful situation for most people.  I'm afraid I can't give you an estimate of time scales for a case which may never happen.  As indicated, if you leave the property no later than the date given in the Notice then there is no need to concern yourself with possible Court proceedings.   I trust you have found my answers helpful but having answered them there is nothing more I can do at the moment.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
5 star