How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 43
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I have a question about shared custody of my son with my ex

This answer was rated:

I have a question about shared custody of my son with my ex partner
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No, there has been no legal action as of yet, my ex does not stick to the arrangement we have in place always cancels last minute which results in him never seeing his son , he has threatened to take me to court if I stop him from seeing his son
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I’m in Scotland, can court grant him access to my son even though he shows no interest until now?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today. Could you please let me know some more information about the circumstances. If I do not reply straight away it is because I am offline. I will respond as soon as I am back online and have received your response.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi, me and my ex partner separated august 2020, since then we have had an arrangement that he would come to my home twice a week after his work to see our son, as he said he doesn’t trust himself to look after him, making bottles changing him etc, he very often cancels these days to see our son saying he has ‘ a sore head’ or ‘ has a cold’, when he is here he doesn’t interact with our son, he just sits on the sofa and watches him play... I still have to change him feed him play with him even though this is his time with him, I feel it’s not in my sons best interest that he visits and when I mentioned this he told me he would take me to court to have access granted. I’m unsure of what to do at this moment as my son doesn’t let me leave the room when his dads in the house they have no bond or relationship.

You cannot legally stop him from having access to your child unless continued access will be of detriment to your child’s welfare.

Until a court order is arranged, one parent may attempt to prevent a relationship with the other. If this happens, your main priority should be the welfare of your child.

You and your partner might agree the time you will spend with your child and want to make this legally binding. If you cannot agree, you will need a court order.

The best option for your child is always a harmonious out-of-court agreement. If you can’t achieve this and things get difficult.

Thereafter the best course of action would be a dispute resolution process.

Is there anything else I can help with this evening?

Thank you for your enquiry. When you receive an email, could you leave a review? It really helps my ratings.

MARTINT330 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you