SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

Second opinion] New thread lets give me idea about court

second opinion] New thread lets give me idea about court process pls as i think i wont b able to find place
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My question is process after section 21 notice expire what landlord will do and how it ll effect me

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I note that you are looking for a second opinion on what happens when a s21 notice expires. Can you tell me what it is you are not clear on from what the other expert has said, and perhaps I can help clarify that - or if you just want a run down on the process, I am happy to provide a general overview.

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Pls answer question above i asked
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Process after expiry of section 21 notice

Process is as follows:

1. Notice issued by landlord and received by you, giving you a date on which to leave the property.
  2. Date arrives on which you are supposed to leave property - you don't.
  3. Day after you should have left the landlord can apply to court for accelerated possession proceedings.
  4. Accelerated possession proceedings are often conducted on the papers, so unless you respond to the court paperwork stating that you want to attend a hearing, the possession order will be granted on the papers.
  5. The landlord will ask the court to award his costs - which will be granted. Costs could be fixed costs of around £300+ for the proceedings in court, or could be more depending on whether the landlord used a solicitor and whether or not your tenancy agreement permits him to charge for his legal fees (most do).
  6. The possession order will be granted, giving you 14 days to leave the property.
  7. The landlord, on day 15, can apply to the bailiffs to evict you.
  8. Within 7 days the bailiffs will issue a warrant of eviction and give you a date on which they will call at the property to evict you.
  9. On the date that they state they will arrive, the bailiffs will turn up, change the locks and evict you.
  10. You will have a money judgment against you for the landlord's costs if you do not pay, which, if you do not pay within the specified time frame given by the court, will become a county court judgment which will affect your ability to get credit, and pass landlord credit checks in the future.
  11. Alternately to point 6 above, the landlord may ask for a forthwith order, and to transfer proceedings to the High Court, which would mean that the day after the hearing, HCEOs could turn up to evict you.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.

You're welcome.