How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2813
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I purchased a Swan Electric oven 4-11-2019 and the main oven

This answer was rated:

I purchased a Swan Electric oven 4-11-2019 and the main oven isn't working at all but the hot plate and the small grill/oven is working I have been asked by Very.Co.Uk to provide an independant report on it before they will take it further
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Leeds, West Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Contacted Very.Co.Uk who said I should contact Swan who manufactured it. They showed no interest even when I asked if they had a list of approved electricians I could call and was told they were connecting me to Customer Services but in fact they transfered me to Very.Co.Uk.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have been asked by Very.Co.Uk to provide them with an independant electrical report but also said they would be Giving S


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 12 hours.

Was the contract between you and Very or the manufacturer?


Based on the information provided the Consumers Rights Act 2015 states that where goods sold are not of satisfactory quality the buyer can exercise a number of remedies.

The remedies available can be repairs at no costs, price reduction, refund, replacement, etc.

In view of this I suggest you seek a second opinion on the cause of the damage as this will provide evidence on whether the cause was down to usage or an issue the seller ought to have known at the point of sale.

Assuming you obtain a favourable report you should disclose it to very and demand the product be repaired or replaced.

If Very do not accept your position I suggest you consider instructing a solicitor to assist you with bringing court action to exercise one of the remedies under the act.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe

Anthony Chendo and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I was very pleased with your answer which confirmed my thoughts and I will contact and electrical repairer and forward his comments to Very.. I will recommend this service to family and friends. Thank you *****

Your welcome and have a good day