How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4809
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Looking for legal advice, london, my lawyer is not helping

This answer was rated:

Looking for legal advice
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: my lawyer is not helping much I need second opinion
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: yes threats , cohesive control and abuse from my estranged husband I’m worried sick

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Is there anything I can do my estranged husband is threatening to remove belongings and sell the house his flying in in 2 weeks time from Nigeria . I’m worried sick , I m live with my 13 yr old son . I feel very vulnerable and afraid ?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’ve reported this to the police

Thank you for that additional information, that will be helpfull in allowing me to advise you today.
There is little the police can do at the moment as he is not in the country.

Once he is, then if he behaves the way you say he does, then you can call the police, because once he is in the country and acts that way towards you, he is committing a criminal offence.

You can also seek a civil remedy to the matter and apply to the family court for a non molestation order against him. This can be done online. It is a court injunction to stop hi. Doing things to you.

Yuo may be entitled to legal aid as well, the link here will help with that. you would need to enter your post code select family up then a list of local legal aid law firms will show.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks James,
The non molestation route is promising, he has abused me for a very long time, for years financially and mentally, this is the last straw . I’ve recently filed for divorce but it’s taking so long , the whole thing is exhausting I need to know my rights , he can’t just fly in and start stripping us out of the house that is not fair
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not fair on my son either to have to go through this , I have email n WhatsApp intimidating msg threats from him?

I fully understand, and you do not have to out up with being treated that way at all.

I would advice that you start the application for the non molestation order ASAP.

The court should grant you this. It will prohibit him for seeing you, contact, coming to the property etc.

As you are in the family home with a school age child, you can also ask the court for an occupation order. That order will allow you to stay in the property with your son, could stop ex from coming to or staying in the property, could ban him from selling property at least until the child leaves school.

Therefore I would advice that  to seek the legal aid as advised .

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok Wow i did not realize I could do this , brilliant thats the best advise ever, I'll start working on this ASAP , I feel that Ive left it for too long, do you know how long this takes , I feel the clock is ticking already with him arriving in 2 weeks ?

It can be fast tracked as it is done on line so go there and start he application.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Will do Thanks James

Your very welcome, good luck and stay safe.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you